Warning

Warning: Keep out of reach of small children and smart-alec teenagers. Keep printed material away from open flames or excessive heat. Studying these documents may cause drowsiness. Do not read while driving heavy equipment or machinery. If nervousness, sleeplessness or irritability occur, discontinue use and seek professional help. Excessive and prolonged use may cause career burnout and has been known to cause cancer in laboratory rats. Isolated cases of schizophrenia exhibiting delusions of grandeur have been reported. Do not use if you are being treated for high blood pressure or have problems urinating due to excessive consumption of caffinated drinks.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Lab Servers Part 3



The 1u Chassis

Well, I bought the power supply extension cable and so I finished installing everything into the 1u chassis okay. I booted up the server with the chassis cover off and let it run awhile. The temperature stayed around 34 degrees C. As soon as I put the cover on the chassis, however, the temperature started to rise. When it got up to about 43 degrees, I shut it off.

The small fans I bought are moving any air hardly at all. Add that to the fact that the cables and the RAM modules are blocking any air flow that there is. I guess I am going have to invest in some better fans before I can get this server up and running.

The 2u Chassis

You will note that I don’t have any DVD\CDROM drives on these servers. Thought I’d save some money and install everything via flash drive. I created a bootable USB flash drive with the OpenSuSE  12.2 installation image as per the instructions on the opensuse.org website. After everything was installed and I logged into the system, the screen would go blank. The BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH. The monitor is showing the message “No Signal”.

Considering that the display works fine all through the setup and displays a login prompt, but then goes blank only after I login, I figure that it’s a video driver issue. OpenSuSE version 12.2 is at least a year or two old, and my motherboards with their CPUs with integrated video are much newer. So, chances are the old drivers in the 12.2 version will not work with the latest hardware.

I downloaded the latest “.iso” version of OpenSuse (12.3) and burned it to a bootable flash drive. I proceeded to install OpenSuSE  onto the server. Login.


WOO-HOO!! It works!!! No black screen of death.



No comments:

Post a Comment